As you probably already know, I am going to fly to Melbourne, Australia next week and start my work & travel adventure. I am already super excited, but also very nervous and a bit afraid… Mehr
The end of August means the beginning of September. The month that I’ll be leaving Germany, my home, my family and fly to Melbourne, Australia. I can’t believe that the time I dreamt of every day when I sat at school or laid in bed is almost there.
Only a few days until I leave my easy, safe and comfortable life behind and dive into the adventure of travelling solo through a new country on the other half of the world.
I feel like I still have so many things to do / I still want to do so many things before I leave. Want to prepare, pre-ride etc. but there isn’t enough time to do so and there are new to-do’s coming every day – I just cannot be 100% ready. That’s not how life works… but it’s hard for me to accept that.
I just have to take everything as it comes, go with the flow, be spontaneous and enjoy the ride!
But for now, we are going to look back on this wonderful month: August 2018!
July ended and August started with a three day trip to Vienna with Anna. We had an awesome time together, enjoyed and explored the city and the weather. Three days full of new places, adventures, good food and the best company!
After coming home I immediately left again for some hours to go to Leipzig and meet Katja from amoureuxee to take some pictures. I already used some of them in my blog post about Role models on the Internet.
But my favourite pictures are the ones that illustrate a topic that is very close to my heart. I wrote this post „We Drown in Plastic“ that I am very proud of and I want to discuss sustainability, less waste, greenness and minimalism on my blog more in the future, because they are very important to me and I want to get into them more as well.
With my two best friends I went to Berlin for one day and we went to Brandy Melville, a Second-Hand Shop and „My Deli Love“ to eat vegan Wraps that were super yummy and an Acai Bowl that was not good at all – sadly. But all in all it was a lovely day!
Some days later I went to Crops (went there at least every second week the past month :D ) with a good friend that I’ve been friends with since we were babies. We don’t see each other very often, but if we do it’s always a lovely time.
We both ate this Bomb Salad with quinoa, sweet potato, greens, apple, pomegranate and hemp seeds and it was amazing! Afterwards, I had a chocolate mousse cake which was yummy too, but not the best I had at Crops.
With my best friend I went to the Mogli Concert in Leipzig and we had a wonderful time enjoying her music and the beautiful atmosphere!
Before we scrolled through the streets of Lindenau, Leipzig and I totally fell in love! I really would like to study here because the vibe of the city is amazing and it has so many cute, alternative and vegan places. Sadly I can’t study international tourism management here and that’s what I’d love to do…
Anyways, we walked around and fell in love with all the cute second hand / vintage / sustainable shops and the good food. Ate some yummy falafel wrap, had vegan chocolate ice cream that was the best I ever had (vegan & non-vegan – it was just so so good!) at „Softeisbude“ and a guy gifted us some mangoes and strawberries he saved from getting thrown away by the supermarket.
I also went to a local market in Stadtfeld, Magdeburg that was super cute and to the movie „303“ with Tete some days later. We cooked lunch together one day and she also turned 18 this month and we had a nice afternoon with yummy birthday cake in her garden.
Made these tasty Chocolate-Date-Bliss-Balls that I shared in my Healthy Snack / Treat Post with you!
Had cake and dinner with my family for my granny’s birthday and ate so much good food. Homemade cake and a walnut burger with sweet potato fries and a lovely evening with many good conversations.
Anna, Tete & I are going to Bali together next summer (after I’ve been to Australia and before I’m coming home) so we researched and planned a bit and make no-bake peanut butter and chocolate pie on the side. I am already very excited to explore Bali, the islands around and it’s amazing food with these two!
Before the weather gets colder now, I enjoyed the (maybe last) hot day at home at the pool and read and sunbathed.
I am going to Wernigerode today with Tete to have a look at the town and their college because I’ll maybe start studying there next year.
Next weekend there is a Street Food Festival in Magdeburg which I am very excited about! We’ve been there every year and it’s so fun to try weird and typical food from all over the world.
I’m also going to host a going-away dinner with my family and the last weekend before I leave will be super crazy! We’ll celebrate the birthday of Tete and her boyfriend at Tete’s cottage where we’ve been in May this year the next day we’ll head to Leipzig to celebrate the new home of my friend Luisa that is doing a dance education there and on Sunday I’m going to make a brunch with my best friends to say goodbye to everyone and enjoy some time together before I leave.
On September 20th I’ll finally / sadly fly to Australia! On one hand, I can’t wait, on the other, I don’t want to go :D I’m already a bit nervous and so excited at the same time…
- A blog post about our two day trip to Lisbon while we were in Portugal at the Algarve Coast
- What I eat on hot summer days
- Some thoughts on Role models on the internet
- 13 Reasons why I love Summer with my favourite flower field pictures
- A city guide to three days in Vienna – What we did, saw and eat
- the first guest post on mind-wanderer about decisions and how to make them easier
- Places I want to travel to featuring some of my favourite travel Instagrammers
- my thoughts and feelings: A n t i c i p a t i o n
- quick & easy healthy vegan treats for your sweet tooth
- and the blog post I purred all my passion into: We Drown in Plastic
I hope you had a wonderful August and are as excited as I am for the new month! What are your plans? What are you up to?
It’s quite a while ago since I posted a recipe on my blog. So today I decided it was time again and I want to show you healthy vegan trats that are made super quick and easy so you always have some good snacks on hand when you crave something sweet and/or chocolaty.
I really love snacks and I could always munch on something while working on my laptop. I try to be satisfied after every meal, but I just have such a sweet tooth and I always want dessert after having a savoury meal… I try to resist is sometimes, but I rather have some „healthy“ treats here and there to satisfy my desire.
I’m sure not everybody agrees with me when I say these recipes are healthy, but they definitely are better than regular stuff: free from industrial sugar, low in fat and without white flour, but they still taste amazing!
Chocolate ’nana Muffin
– 1 tbsp shredded Flaxseeds + 3 tbsp warm water
– 3 ripe bananas
– 1,5 tbsp maple syrup
– 1,5 tbsp applesauce (without added sugar)
– 1 tbsp coconut oil
– pinch of vanilla extract
– 1 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp baking soda
– pinch of salt
– 1 tbsp unsweetened (raw) cacao powder ( I use this product*)
– 5 tbsp buckwheat flour
– 1 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- mix the flaxseeds with water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes
- mash the bananas and mix all ingredients to a smooth dough
- bake for around 15 minutes at 190°C
Chocolate Cookie Dough made with Chickpeas
I eat this cookie dough for breakfast most of the times because it is the best post-workout meal! But I always end up having leftovers as a snack later.
I have to admit that it doesn’t taste like real cookie dough because you can’t taste the sugar crystals and the greasy butter, but it’s still super yummy – you just can’t expect it to taste the same.
I got this recipe idea from kichererb.se but I never followed her instructions completely and rather experiment myself.
– 1 can of very well rinsed chickpeas (save the chickpea water to make other yummy recipes like my healthy crunchy muesli!)
– about 8 pitted dates (soak them in plant milk overnight if they aren’t smooth)
– 5 tsp unsweetened (raw) cacao ( I use this product*)
– a little bit of plant milk (depends on consistency)
– pinch of vanilla extract
– optional: 3 tsp chopped dark chocolate, cacao nibs, nut butter, cinnamon, chopped nuts, shredded coconut…
- mix everything with a high speed blender and add whatever extras you like/have on hand
- I never make the same cookie dough and always add something else every time
I love dipping apple slices into it or eating it with fruit!
Chocolate Bliss Balls
I always wanted to make my own bliss balls because you can literally see everyone making and eating them. I just mixed together everything I thought would fit and taste and they came out so so yum!
– 12 soaked dates (in just as much plant milk to cover them overnight)
– 3 tsp chia seeds
– 2 handful of nuts (I used a variety of different ones we had)
– 3 tsp unsweetened (raw) cacao (I use this product*)
– 3 tsp shredded dark chocolate
– cacao nibs
– 6 tbsp spelt flakes (or oats)
– optional: coconut flakes to coat your bliss balls
- soak the dates and chia seeds together in plant milk overnight
- mix all ingredients in a high-speed blender and add the spelt/oat flakes in portions to vary depending on the consistency (it needs to be very creamy but not too sticky)
- wet your hands with water, take small portions and roll your bliss balls
- coat them in coconut flakes (sadly we didn’t have any…)
Hemp-Apricot Bliss Balls
My grandma once made me these yummy bliss balls that have slightly different ingredients than usual bliss balls but they tasted amazing! I really love dried apricots anyways and hempseeds also are high in protein and very healthy!
– 150g dried apricots (not sulphurated! and try to find very creamy ones)
– 100g oat bran
– 100g hazelnuts
– 100g hempseeds
– plant milk depending on consistency
– optional: shredded coconut or more oat bran
- mix the apricots in a high-speed blender with a little bit of plant milk and slowly add the dry ingredients, depending on the consistency add more milk
- wet your hands with water, take small portions and roll your bliss balls
- coat them in shredded coconut or oat bran
Always keep in mind that it is better to have a proper snack or meal than to stuff yourself with „healthy treats“ because you are hungry. These treats are made for dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth but not to fill you up!
You could, for example, have a piece of bread with avocado and tomato, a bowl of porridge with fruit or (vegan) yogurt with fruit and muesli. These things will fill you up more and won’t make you hungry for more (like treats tend to do!).
You should also think about what you could improve in your eating routine so that you stay full longer and don’t need to have snacks in between. But that also depends on yourself because everyone has different preferences with how they separate their meals. Some only have 2/3 big meals a day, others like to eat more frequently but smaller portions – for me it depends on my day and what I am up to.
This dessert doesn’t look healthy at all – but it is! Made of silken tofu it is the perfect creamy vegan chocolate mousse. Only takes 10 minutes and 5 main ingredients to make and it’s so good, while still being healthy and high in protein as well!
Treats don’t always need chocolate to be super delicious! These fruity little muffins are prefect to use up ripe bananas and very handy to take with you wherever you go!
Cakes can be „healthy“ too! If you use cane sugar instead of white industrial sugar, buckwheat or other wholegrain flour instead of white flour and plant butter/oil even your favorite cake can be made healthy (or at least healthier!). I collected my all time favourite vegan cake recipes here!
I recently made my favourite raspberry banana bread with frozen blueberries instead and it tasted amazing – so creamy, moist and fruity!
But if you prefer the combination of chocolate, banana and peanut butter, I got you covered as well!
Ever tried brownies made with sweet potato? Super delicious! I can highly recommend trying it, especially when it’s still warm!
Probably my favourite treat ever! So so creamy, fruity, crunchy, not too sweet and warm – I really need to remake it with different kinds of fruit: Baked Plum Crumble
What treats do you like to make when you crave something sweet but still want to stay healthy? Are you going to try one of my recipe? What are your favourite treats?
* This is an affiliate link. If you purchase something through this link I get a commission and you support me and my work, but it doesn’t affect the price for you. Thanks!
* Dies ist ein Affiliate Link. Wenn du etwas über diesen Link kaufst, bekomme ich eine kleine Provision und du unterstützt mich und meine Arbeit. Der Preis ändert sich für dich dabei natürlich nicht. Danke!
– The excited feeling for something upcoming in the future. –
That tingly feeling you have in your stomach. Mixed with a slightly little fear of not knowing what will come.
But I try to stay confident. That’s what I’ve always wanted, dreamt of every night, in every daydream. Since four years, I’m looking forward to this time if my life. All I ever wanted was to be free and exploring and that’s still what I want.
Nevertheless, it’s my first time traveling alone.
My first time being away from my family for more than two weeks.
My first time being on the other side of the world in Australia.
My first time flying alone.
My first time traveling with a backpack.
My first time being on the go for longer than three weeks.
My first time traveling alone in Australia far away from my family and friends with a backpack for a long period of time.
So many first times and my anticipation is huge.
I know that there are many wonderful, beautiful, adventurous, calm, exciting, happy times ahead of me, as well as hard, scary, lonely situations. That’s what traveling is all about and I am ready for them all. Or at least ready to learn, grow and master situations that I haven’t had to conquer before. I know that I can.
There are a few things that I need to get done before. A few things to buy, to safe, to organize, to apply and to inform myself about.
Today I had to say goodbye to one of my grandparents already because they are going on vacation for four weeks and we are not going to see each other again before I leave. It was such a weird feeling. I still cannot imagine being away and not seeing them for so long.
On one hand, I cannot wait to finally start my adventure. On the other hand, time flies by so fast and I try to enjoy every left moment at home with my family, friends and my cat.