I am so excited to finally share my very first video from Australia with you!
I planned to film and vlog a lot here, but it is harder than I thought to keep on track and also find time to edit. Especially because I have never done it before and needed to start from the beginning.
But now I am super motivated as I had so much fun looking back on my old video clips from the beginning of my journey and making it into a wonderful memory, so there will be a lot more videos following soon!
I already planned to make one from my Outback adventures and I started to vlog and talk in my videos as well now, so there will be vlogs coming soon!
I hope you are just as excited as I am and curious to see more than just text and pictures on here.
To make my own filming and your watching experience even better, I am grateful to have my brother with me for the next three weeks, who is into videography as well. And I am planning to buy a new GoPro for some great action and underwater footage, as well as using my brother’s drone for some awesome landscape views.
So there will be a lot of great new content from us coming soon! So make sure to follow us both on our YouTube channels and Instagram accounts!
In school, you get to learn a lot of things. Things, you think that you’ll never need in your life and forget quickly. But what you learn in school that (hopefully) stays your entire life is how to learn, how to gather information and make something out of it.
In your A-Levels, you have the highest general knowledge of your lifetime, knowledge from so many different areas and still, you feel like you don’t know anything to survive in the real world. But at least you got the ability to find the information you need, use it for yourself and make something out of it.
After finishing school there is nobody that motivates you to learn and practice for hours and hours daily. Maybe in university, this motivation will come back, but still, it will be your responsibility to work on your own education. With yourself, for yourself.
But the great thing about it is, that now you are able to choose what you want to dig into more deeply. Topics that haven’t been taught in school and interests, that might be worth more for you and your life than knowing how photosynthesis works.
I really enjoyed school, enjoyed learning, but I hated that I had to “waste” my time on topics and tasks that weren’t interesting to me and I much rather would have liked to work on my own projects and learn about things that will help me with them. And I think that’s the case for most students – we don’t hate school and learning in general, it’s about the subjects and topics that we can’t choose to enrich our lives.
Now that I finished school this year and decided to take a gap year and fulfil my dreams of travelling the world fulltime for a whole year (or longer?!), I can spend all my time and energy on things that I choose myself.
If I wanted to, I could only enjoy and chill this year. But that’s not my nature.
If I would be an animal, I would be a working bee. I love having meaningful things to do, plans for my week, work to finish and tasks to cross off my to-do list. And especially, I love and want to learn and grow as a person and build my knowledge and ability in areas that I want to improve on.
For this gap year (and beyond) I want to:
experience personal growth through solo travel, situations and problems to master in Australia
improve my English by living and working in Australia, writing my blog and talking in my YouTube Videos in English
work towards making my blog + YouTube + Instagram into my business. I want to improve my photography, videography, business knowledge, writing and editing skills
In today’s world, it is so easy to get information. You are never really alone with your problems and usually not the first one who wants to know how things work – you can find everything online.
Blogs, videos, eBooks, podcasts, audiobooks, movie’s – there is a source for everything you need and you can get all the knowledge you desire.
So I decided to share my favourites (and more that are on my to-read/listen/watch list) in different categories with you that help me to educate myself!
Digitale Nomaden Podcast
Weltwach – Abenteuer, Reisen
beVegt – vegan leben und laufen
How the health
Forks over Knives
The true cost
Living on one dollar
Books / eBooks / audiobooks
…that I love
the books by John Strelecky on the meaning of life: (Deutsch: Safari des Lebens, Das Café am Rande der Welt, Wiedersehen im Café am Rande der Welt)
Skinny Bitch about the vegan diet for a healthy body
The inside story of our body’s most underrated Organ (Deutsch: Darm mit Charme) by Guilia Enders about our digestive system
Frühstück mit Elefanten by Gesa Neitzel, a story about making decisions and living the life of your dreams
How to be Parisian by Sophie Mas & Audrey Diwan
Journey Man by Fabian Sixtus Körner, the most exciting and adventurous travel diary
Heilen mit der Kraft der Natur
…on my list
The China Study
How not to Die
Making ideas happen
Books about storytelling
Give and Take by Adam Grant
The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp
Live Camp Work
How to Travel fulltime
Besides reading my books, I also really enjoy listening to them because it is quicker which means you can listen to it here and there to really internalize the content and keeping it in mind. That’s what I did with the John Strelecky books. I probably already listened to all of them for about 4-6 times and I love how it makes me improve my thoughts and actions after every time.
I also love to read books first (because that can be a totally different experience) and listen to them again some time later because I love the story so much.
And audiobooks have another advantage: meanwhile, you can do other things and multitasks which can make you more efficient. For example, cleaning and organizing, sorting through pictures or editing them, working out or to pass time when you are walking, sitting in public transport or on a road trip. But you should keep in mind that multitasking can cause stress to your brain and make you less efficient when you can’t focus on any of your tasks. So I never try to read and listen at the same time – that’s just not possible.
Anzeige // If you also want to educate yourself or simply just listen to great books wherever and whenever you want, Audible* is a great way to have access to all different kinds of genres and the newest additions.
When you sign up you start with a FREE 30-day trial and get one audiobook for free as well and afterwards you get one audiobook each month that you can keep forever.
What do you want to educate yourself on? Which topics are you interested to improve?
I thought a 12 Things blog post like Amber Fillerup likes to do them is a great way to start blogging again after two weeks of not posting (wasn’t planned or wanted, but that’s how life works sometimes), including some life update and random facts.
As you maybe already noticed – I am writing in English. Something that I wanted to start, because I love this language a lot and it challenges me to practice and learn. I am still not sure if I am going to stick to that for every post or write in whatever language I feel like that day. I also thought about writing in English and German, but that would consume so much time.
So please tell me what you think about that? Do you like reading in English or do you prefer German?
Of course, I also need to mention that my English is not perfect at all (not that my German is perfect, but I am obviously worse in English than in my mother tongue), so if you find a major mistake or a sentence that is not understandable at all, feel free to tell me.
But for now, we are going to get into the 12 Things I want to tell you:
1. I posted my monthly review for June two days ago on July 16th – half a month too late because sadly the internet in our rented house was too bad to work on my blog.
2. I really love to watch YouTube Videos, listen to Podcasts and read books or blogs in English. I oftentimes think or dream in English and it feels great to write in English, but to be honest: I don’t know at all how to use commas and I can’t remember that I’ve learned it in school. I just do it however I feel like it’s right :D
4. The last two weeks we ate soo much white bread (which I usually never eat) and I also ate a lot of cheese and not mostly plant-based at all. Now I am so excited to eat healthy and vegan again, as well as working out regularly.
5. When we were in Lisbon for two days I could immediately feel that my skin got worse because of all the exhaust emissions and the dirty air after being at the beach in the salt water, which is super good for my skin.
6. These days I am craving fruit soo bad! I could eat only fruit for every meal because it tastes soo amazing when it’s fully ripe and fresh and summer fruit is just the best! All the watermelon, peaches, berries and it was orange season in Portugal as well.
7. I read five books during my 14-day vacation. Not my record, but I am still pretty proud because I haven’t taken the time to read a lot in the first half of the year.
8. My brother and I filmed some video clips during our holiday and hopefully, he will make a cool video. Originally I planned to make one myself, but there are so many clips that we both like and both filmed together so the videos would look pretty alike and now I have more time to work on other stuff instead. But until I go to Australia I really need to learn how to edit videos cause I want to start filming there.
9. It’s only freaking TWO MONTH until I fly to Australia and I feel like I am not ready at all and have not enough time to get everything done what I want to do before. I still don’t have a Visa, no accommodation for my first nights in Melbourne and so much more to do.
10. I am trying out Lightroom this month (the first 30 days are free) and I really really love this program! You can do so much to your pictures and make it look super awesome, but it’s also more time-consuming. Now I need to edit all my Portugal photos as soon as possible.
11. One of my best friends is moving to Leipzig soon and she already got her apartment and some plans around that going on and his makes me soo excited to move into my own space, so the interior designing, have a balcony and living on my own. Which is funny because I am about to do quite the opposite of settling down soon :D But of course I will have the opportunity later and for now, I am super excited for my friend.
12. I want to bake my banana bread with raspberries again tomorrow or on thursday and use blueberries instead and I am super exited because I already know that it will taste amazing <3
It took me forever to find 12 kind of interesting things :D I didn’t know it was that hard, but if you like this new format, I really would love to do it again, so please let me know!